Friday, 22 August 2014

Finished Kindle Books (Part 1)

Hey there! 

(Apologies for not uploading last week, I was on holiday and have been busy. A slightly different post for you today, hope you enjoy!) 

I have to admit it: I’m one of those annoying technology obsessed e-reader people. I received one of the first generations of Amazon’s ‘Kindle’ for my birthday in 2010 and now own a Kindle Fire. While e-readers have been fatal in me falling into the ‘buying books then never actually reading them’ habit, I do have a large number of finished titles stored up. This is in no way a review of the device itself, more a short summary of each book. If however this post does inspire you to try out an e-reader, do let me know!


So - without further ado - and in no particular popularity order:  

'Thirteen Reasons Why' by Jay Asher – one of the first books I read dealing with suicide, maybe I was a little too young to fully ‘get’ this one. A gripping concept nevertheless, well worthy of giving a try!  

'Shift' by Em Bailey – a goose bump inducing, psychological thriller and a window into schizophrenia. Strong characters and a punchy twist.  

'Flip' by Martyn Bedford – a slightly odd and unnerving read, about a boy who finds himself in someone else’s body, having to live a strange double life!

'Boys Don’t Cry' by Malorie Blackman – a twist on the conventional teen pregnancy. This time the boy’s left holding the baby. The first book I read on my kindle which definitely didn’t disappoint.

'Double Cross' by Malorie Blackman (forth in the popular ‘Noughts and Crosses’ series) – This installment of the racism based story gives an insight into Callie, growing up in a twisted world.

'The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting' by Holly Bourne (review coming soon) – this one reduced me to tears in some parts. Certainly relatable and for anyone who’s feeling a little bit lost. Contemporary YA that gripped me throughout.

'Inside My Head' by Jim CarringtonA multi POV book looking at bullying, realistic and raw. The characters really shine through in this heart-warmingly British novel.

'Cherry Crush,' 'Marshmallow Skye' and 'Summer Dream' by Cathy Cassidy (the first three of the Chocolate Box Girls series) – Personally I think these are for younger readers, so when I read them when I was 13 or so I was enthralled. Typically Cathy Cassidy with friendships, love etc, but still addressing some darker issues too

'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky – I’d go as far as to say this is one of my favourite books of all time. Set in the ‘80’s following shy boy Charlie as he makes his journey through high school, it’s relatable and sweet and sometimes dark. A must read.

'Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist' by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan – a typical American whirlwind romance. It takes place all in one night and features 24 hour Waffle Houses and indie music. A guilty pleasure.

'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins (first in the Hunger Games trilogy) – Most people would have heard of this one. One of the finest dystopian thrillers with the expected romance and rebellion. Might not live up to the hype some have built however.

'Matched' by Ally Condie – I’ll be blunt and say I didn’t enjoy this at all. Another dystopian, but I found the characters one dimensional and the story slow. Didn’t live up to expectations for me, unfortunately.

'Strictly Friends' by Jo Cotterill (second in the Sweet Hearts companion novels) Similar to Cassidy, Cotterill gripped me a young teen. Another for younger readers but as I remember a sweet story that tells you to not give up on your dreams.

'Just Listen'by Sarah Dessen – This was a surprise in a big way. Yes it was a little cliché but I found myself learning and taking everything in from the mysterious Own as Annabel does.  

'Room' by Emma Donoghue – You could describe this as a psychological thriller, or brilliantly disturbing. Narrated by five year old Jack, we get his view of his mother being kidnapped by Old Nick. His naivety works so well and his voice is charming. Recommended.  

That’s about half of my finished kindle collection documented for your enjoyment. If you’ve read any of these and have shockingly conflicting views to me, I’d love to hear your opinions!

Lucy

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you've done so well with your kindle reads! Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inside my head is a brilliant read, but unfortunately, the book as well as the author are not as well known as they deserve to be. Also, I am currently on the second book in the Noughts and Crosses series, the first is my favourite book. So powerful.

    lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, and yeah I definitely agree. It was quite a while ago I read Inside my Head so I may re read soon to refresh my memory :) Definitely powerful. I think the first is the best in the series but I did enjoy all four. Thanks so much for the comment xx

      Delete